STMicroelectronics – SiC MOSFETS 650V to 1700V
Silicon carbide (SiC) has an energy bandgap of 3 electronvolt (eV) and a much higher thermal conductivity compared to silicon. SiC-based MOSFETs are best suited for high voltage, high power applications and are operated at higher frequencies with respect to silicon. Also, the device parameters such as for example the on-resistance RDS(on) are more stable as a function of temperature. This translates into tighter design margins, allowing extra performance to be achieved. SiC MOSFETs is ideal for Industrial and Automotive applications such as traction inverters, on-board chargers & fast charging stations, DC-DC converters, SMPS/high-end PFCs, auxiliary power supplies, UPS/Solar/Welding and Industrial drives across 650V, 750V, 1200V and 1700V clusters.
Based on the advanced and innovative properties of wide bandgap materials, ST’s 650 to 1700V silicon-carbide (SiC) MOSFETs feature very low on-state resistance (RDS(on)) per area combined with excellent switching performance, translating into more efficient and compact systems. SiC MOSFETs are belonging to the STPOWER™ family.
Compared with silicon MOSFETs, SiC MOSFETs exhibit low on-state resistance per area even at high temperatures as well as excellent switching performance versus the best-in-class IGBTs in all temperature ranges, simplifying the thermal design of power electronic systems.
Features & Benefits:
- Very high temperature handling capability (max. TJ = 200°C) leading to reduced PCB form factors (simplified thermal management) as well as improved system reliability
- Significantly reduced switching losses (minimal variation versus temperature) resulting in more compact designs (with smaller passive components)
- Low on-state resistance (20mΩ typ. @ 25°C for 650 V devices and 80mΩ typ. @ 25°C for 1200V devices) resulting in higher system efficiency thanks to reduced cooling requirements
- Simple to drive (cost-effective network driving)
- Very fast and robust intrinsic body diode (no need for external freewheeling diode, thus more compact systems)
The portfolio includes a wide range of operating voltages for Industrial and Automotive applications such as:
- traction inverters
- on board chargers & fast chargers
- DC-DC converters
- SMPS/high-end PFCs
- auxiliary power supplies