Renesas Electronics – Expands Development Platform for R-IN32M3 Series of Industrial Network SoCs
Renesas Electronics, a premier supplier of advanced semiconductor solutions, today announced the expansion of its R-IN32M3 series platform solution for industrial Ethernet protocols with an IAR Systems® development kit and multiple Industrial Ethernet protocol stacks support. IAR Systems eases device evaluation with the release of its low-cost hardware starter kit, IAR KickStart Kit™ for R-IN32M3 SoCs, Rutonik ordercode TOOL3779.
The kit includes an R-IN board, an I-jet Lite debug probe and evaluation versions of IAR Embedded Workbench® for ARM, as well as lots of protocol stacks on Renesas’ website. The solution enables simplified development and contributes to reduced development time for industrial networking applications.
As industry moves towards the Smart Factory, communication networks have become a critical component in improving production efficiency and real-time processing. Nowadays, the number and complexity of industrial protocols like CC-Link IE®, EtherCAT®, PROFINET®, etc., as well as a variety of applications, has led to long and complex development cycles.
Renesas’ R-IN32M3 series of devices significantly improves industrial Ethernet network performance with optimized hardware accelerators, while reducing costs by supporting multiple protocols such as EtherCAT®, CC-Link® IE, EtherNet/IP®, PROFINET®, CANopen® and others, from a single device. It can be used for real-time network communication in gateways, I/O controllers, PLCs/PACs, embedded controllers, industrial drives and countless other networked applications. Its exceptional design flexibility allows one system design to serve a diversity of networks and applications.
To further ease the development, a new platform for this R-IN32M3 is now available in collaboration with IAR Systems, a leader in embedded software tools. This new platform consists of the new IAR KickStart Kit for R-IN32M3, which contains the necessary hardware and tools to quickly evaluate the features of the R-IN32M3 and leverage the hardware RTOS feature, and the support of leading Industrial Ethernet protocol stacks. The platform solution is complemented by a broad set of industrial Ethernet protocol samples available on the Renesas website. This allows customers to easily set up the environment for protocols, such as EtherCAT®, EtherNet/IP® or PROFINET®, on the R-IN32M3. This combination delivers a complete and powerful, yet simple and cost effective platform for setting up Ethernet-based industrial networks.
Key Features of Renesas’ R-IN32M3 Platform Solution:
- ARM® Cortex™ M3-based CPU subsystem clocked at 100 megahertz (MHz) clock speed
- Hardware accelerators improve efficiency and offloads from the main CPU
- Hardware real-time OS accelerator (HW-RTOS) Hardware Ethernet accelerators (IP/TCP/UDP Check Sum, Header ENDEC, Buffer manager)
- 1.3 MB of on-chip RAM
- EtherCAT or CC-Link IE slave controller on-chip (license free)
- 2-port real-time Gigabit switch, supports cut-through and store and forward operating modes, as well as support for IEEE1588 PTP and Device-Level-Ring (DLR) protocols
- Dual-channel 10/100 Ethernet (with dual-channel PHY included
- High-speed, real-time port with dedicated DMAC
- Many peripherals and GPIOs
Key Features of IAR Systems’ IAR KickStart Kit for R-IN32M3:
- 1x I-jet™ Lite debug probe 1x compact development board (10.5 cm x 5.5 cm only) embedding the R-IN32M3-EC (EtherCAT-enabled)
- Evaluation version of IAR Embedded Workbench® for ARM.
- Available software Set of ready-to-go industrial Ethernet protocol sample stacks