Murata – Power Block Modules Provide an Alternate Power System Design Approach
This concept, developed to meet the growing demand for increased power densities, sits between a discrete point-of-load (PoL) design and that of a complete non-isolated PoL converter module. The power block is essentially a non-isolated buck converter without the PWM controller. The Power Block design approach allows the power engineer to achieve the highest efficiency and maximum possible power and current density while maintaining a high performance system at a lower cost when compared to a complete module design approach.
The Power Block provides a single component solution that incorporates all of the power handling components, fully tested and characterized for thermal and dynamic performance. The Power Block design approach is ideal for today’s power-hungry FPGAs, ASICs, computing and IBA architectures. Most analog or digital PWM controllers can be used with the power block; however, the maximum benefits are achieved when coupled with ZMDI’s ZSPM1025 single-phase digital PWM IC controller family.
The first product using this approach, the OKLP-X/25-W12-C, is a 25 A rated module and is optimized for use with the ZMDI series of digital controllers that incorporate PMBus™ communications.
- Ready, tested, and fully pre-configured 25A point-of-load solution
- Full downloadable construction kit including step-by-step instructions and software wizard
- Fast configuration of output voltage and monitoring via Pink Power Designer™ GUI for ultra-fast time-to-market
- Supporting four (4) different output capacitor ranges without any design work
- FPGA designer-friendly solution
- 35A and 45A point-of-load solutions will be available shortly