Littelfuse – First Series-Connected, 20kA-Capable Indicating Surge Arrestor for LED Lighting Applications
Littelfuse, Inc., the global leader in circuit protection, has introduced two product lines designed specifically to provide transient overvoltage protection for outdoor and commercial LED lighting fixtures. Constructed with Littelfuse thermally protected Varistors, the LSP05 and LSP10 Surge Protection Device (SPD) Modules provide robust surge current handling capability. A built-in thermal disconnect function that provides additional protection from catastrophic failures and fire hazards, even under the extreme circumstances of Varistor end of life or sustained overvoltage conditions. Applications include outdoor and commercial LED lighting, including roadway lighting, traffic lighting, digital signage, service entrance lighting, parking garage/lot lighting, flood lighting, tunnel lighting, and street lighting.
The LSP05 Series is configured with parallel connections. The LSP10 Module is available with either parallel or series connections; the series-connected version of the LSP10 is the world’s first indicating surge arrestor capable of handling surges of up to 20,000 amps used for outdoor LED applications. With the parallel-connected versions, an indicator wire can activate an LED to tell maintenance personnel when to replace the SPD in order to ensure the luminaire remains protected. The LSP10 series-connected version cuts luminaire power off to provide a clearly visible indication the SPD should be replaced.
“Municipalities and property owners make a significant investment when they replace legacy lighting with LED lighting, so they have high expectations for reliability,” said Johnny Chang, product manager for the LSP05 and LSP10 product lines. “The LSP05 and LSP10 are designed to protect these lighting fixture investments from damage due to surge events and reduce maintenance costs by providing a real-time indication when the SPD module needs to be replaced.”
The LSP05 and LSP10 Surge Protection Modules Offer These Key Benefits:
- These optimized surge immunity solutions protect outdoor LED fixture investments with maximum lightning surge current ratings of 20,000A (LSP10) and10,000A (LSP05).
- Internal varistors are thermally protected to prevent failure due to end-of-life or continuous overvoltage faults.
- Clear indication of SPD replacement prevents future surge damage to luminaire.
- IP66 water-proof and dust-proof design allows for flexibility in outdoor installation locations, inside or outside of luminaire, top or bottom at lighting pole, in transformer box or on distribution panel.
- Indication wire options make it easy to implement an indicating/monitoring circuit for SPD replacement.
- These devices are Recognized to meet UL1449 Type 4 Component Assembly requirements and are Compliant with IEC 61643-11 Class II and EN 61643-11 Type 2, so they are suitable for use in LED lighting fixtures around the world.
- Their compact form factor (48x48x30mm) makes them easy to mount inside a luminaire; mounting tabs simplify installation and replacement.
The LSP05 and LSP10 Surge Protection Modules are available in bulk pack.