AVX Introduces a Range Extension for SMX Series High Temperature Stacked MLCC SMPS Rated at 200°C
Providing several significant advantages over both typical MIL-qualified MLCCs (which are only rated to 125°C) and comparable wet tantalum capacitors, SMX Series MLCCs exhibit excellent high frequency performance, exceptional capacitance retention with frequency, high current handling capabilities, a wide frequency response in high pulse, high current applications, and low ESR, ESL, and DC leakage.
Specifically designed for use in high temperature, harsh environment applications up to 200°C, SMX Series stacked SMPS MLCCs are constructed using high temperature solder and exhibit rugged thermal shock, mechanical shock, moisture resistance, and vibration resistance capabilities per MIL-STD-202.
SMX Series capacitors are ideal for use in down-hole oil, gas, and mineral exploration equipment, including geophysical and geothermal probes, seismic sensors, and signal amplifiers. The series is also ideal for use in military, defense, and weapons systems; space and satellite communications equipment; automotive underhood and hybrid electric vehicle (HEV) applications; and rugged AC/DC power converters (e.g., those that supply AC power from onshore power grids to offshore oil platforms).
Additionally, SMX Series capacitors are particularly well suited for use as DC filters in high power, high frequency ripple currents, high pulsed-current circuitry, and a range of low power electronics; EMI filters on AC inputs; DC link capacitors for AC/AC and DC/AC motor drive inverters; and start-and-run capacitors in AC induction motors, including those designed into the rotary drills, mud pumps, draw works, conveyors, compressors, and blowers installed on oil platforms. Some Key Features/Benefits Include:
- Voltage Ratings: 25V, 50V, 100V, 200V, 500V
- Case sizes: .25in x .30in up to 2.05in X 1.35in
- Operating Temperature Range: of -55°C to +200°C
- Capacitance Range: 3.9nF to 270µF
- Temperature Coefficients: COG(NPO), VHT(X7R) Applications/ Advantages & Selling Points
- DC filters in motor drives, DC Filtering of high frequency ripple currents
- AC / DC Power converters, AC Input EMI Filtering
- Start and Run Capacitors in AC Induction Motors
- DC Link Capacitors for AC/AC and DC/AC Motor Drive Inverters
- Ideal for Down-Hole Oil, Gas, and Mineral Exploration
- Suited for Space, Aerospace, and Hybrid automotive electronics
- Low DC leakage current, very low ESR/ESL
- High Current Handling Capabilities
- Excellent capacitance retention with frequency
- Excellent high frequency performance