Littelfuse – Smaller Footprint Three-Terminal GDT Protects Communications Equipment from Fast-Rising Transients
Ultra-low capacitance and high surge energy withstanding provide more protection from lightning damage.
Littelfuse, Inc., the global leader in circuit protection, has introduced the SL1010A Series Gas Discharge Tube (GDT), a small-footprint, three-terminal, surface mount component that protects a broad range of communication equipment from damage due to fast-rising transients typically caused by lightning disturbances. The SL1010A Series GDT is rated to withstand lightning surge currents of 5kA at 8/20µs. Its low off-state capacitance of less than 1.5pF minimizes insertion loss and helps preserve signal integrity in data communication lines. Its low arc voltage (~10V) reduces thermal accumulation during long-term power faults.
At just five millimeters in diameter, the three-terminal SL1010A Series GDT is ideal for small form factor applications that require both high energy withstanding capability and a compact footprint. Applications include new telecommunication system designs with miniaturized components, last mile telecommunication equipment such as very fast DSL, industrial RS-485, Power over Ethernet, and home gateways.
The SL1010A Series GDT offers these key benefits:
- High energy withstanding in a small body makes the SL1010A Series ideal for small form factor applications with minimum footprint requirements
- With less than 1.5pF of off-state capacitance, the SL1010A GDT ensures minimal insertion loss and helps preserve signal integrity
- Low arc voltage avoids thermal accumulation due to high on-state voltages
- Three-terminal design with symmetry for Tip/Ring/Gnd reduces the frequency of longitudinal to transverse mode conversions that occur during surge events
- A RoHS-compliant, lead-free design makes the SL1010A Series environmentally friendly
The SL1010A Series GDT is available in quantities of 900 in tape and reel packaging. Sample requests can be placed.