Infineon – XDPL8219 – digital LED Driver
High-power-factor constant-voltage flyback IC
LEDs need constant current (CC) for safe operation. To improve performance and avoid flicker, a dual-stage architecture with primary-stage constant voltage (CV) circuit is needed. A buck regulator or LDO on the secondary-side enables high-performance LED drivers. Also, multi-channel LED drivers with primary- side constant-voltage output and secondary-side regulators can utilize this topology. Requirements for lighting applications include high power factor and low total harmonic distortion (THD). The XDPL8219 provides a constant voltage output with a high power factor.
Wide input voltage range
The XDPL8219 operates stably with excellent power quality over a wide voltage range from 90 VAC to 305 VAC plus tolerance of nominal power.
Excellent power factor and THD
The XDPL8219 achieves a power factor (PF) of > 0.9 and a total harmonic distortion (THD) of less than 15 percent over the whole input voltage range down to one third of the nominal load. On top of that, the device meets the IEC 61000-3-2 class C requirements.
Protection features for reliable driver functioning
- Accurate AC input under-/overvoltage protection with configurable threshold and hysteresis
- Reliable output and VCC under-/overvoltage protection with configurable limits and hysteresis
- Primary-side overcurrent protection, protecting from transformer shorts or broken current sense line
- Overtemperature protection
- Protection features can be configured digitally via Infineon’s simple graphical user interface (GUI) programming tool
Exceptional low stand-by power consumption
The dedicated 40 W reference design REF-XDPL8219-U40W consumes < 100 mW at 277 VAC at open load.
Added intelligence through UART reporting
Through the UART pin, the device transmits parameters such as: estimated input voltage, line frequency, controller temperature, last error code, and input voltage loss indication.
- DSO-8 package
- Constant voltage with secondaryside regulation
- Nominal input voltage range from 90 VAC – 305 VAC
- Efficiency > 90%
- Power factor > 0.9
- THD < 15 percent
- Three operation modes:
- Quasi-resonant (QRM)
- Discontinuous conduction (DCM)
- Active burst (ABM)
- UL1310 safety feature
- Digital parameter setting
- Stand-by power < 100 mW
- High-performance and robust LED designs
- Increased flexibility with minimized BoM, enabling faster time-to-market
- Added intelligence through UART reporting