ST – L9963 – ASSP Battery Management System IC
The L9963 is a Li-ion battery monitoring and protection chip for high-reliability automotive applications and energy storage systems. Up to 14 stacked battery cells can be monitored to meet the requirements of 48 V and higher voltage systems.
Each cell voltage is measured with high accuracy, as well as the current for the on-chip coulomb counting. The device can monitor up to 7 NTCs. The information is transmitted through SPI communication or isolated interface.
Multiple L9963 can be connected in a daisy chain and communicate with one host processor via the transformer isolated interfaces, featuring high-speed, low EMI, long distance, and reliable data transmission.
Passive balancing with programmable channel selection is offered in both normal and low power mode (silent balance). The balancing can be terminated automatically based on internal timer interrupt. Nine GPIOs are integrated for external monitoring and controlling. The L9963 features a comprehensive set of fault detection and notification functions to meet the safety standard requirements.
- AEC-Q100 qualified
- Measures 4 to 14 cells in series, with 0 us desynchronization delay between samples. Supports also busbar connection without altering cell results
- Coulomb counter supporting pack overcurrent detection in both ignition on and off states. Fully synchronized current and voltage samples
- 16-bit voltage measurement with maximum error of ±2 mV in the [1.7 – 4.7] V range, in whole operating temp range
- 2.66 Mbps isolated serial communication with regenerative buffer, supporting dual access ring. Less than 2 µs latency between start of conversion of the 1st and the 15th device in a chain. Less than 4 ms to convert and read 96 cells in a system using 8 L9963. Supports both transformer and capacitive based isolation
- 200 mA passive internal balancing current for each cell in both normal and silent-balancing mode. Possibility of executing cyclic wake-up measurements. Manual/Timed balancing, on multiple channels simultaneously; Internal/external balancing
- Fully redundant cell measurement path, with ADC Swap, for enhanced safety and limp home functionality
- Intelligent diagnostic routine providing automatic failure validation. Redundant fault notification through both SPI Global Status Word (GSW) and dedicated FAULT line
- Two 5 V regulators supporting external load connection with 25 mA (VCOM) and 50 mA (VTREF) current capability
- 9 GPIOs, with up to 7 analog inputs for NTC sensing
- Robust hot-plug performance. No Zeners needed in parallel to each cell
- Full ISO26262 compliant, ASIL-D systems ready
- TQFP64EP package
- Battery Management System for Electric Vehicles
For easy evaluation are 3 different Eval-Boards available.Shop EVAL-L9963Button text Shop EVAL-L9963-MCU Shop EVAL-9963-NDS