Security Products – Focus on Swissbit’s PS-45 and PS-45u
The security product series in the microSD and SD form factor addresses the growing demand for mobile, portable and industrial security. The products offer tangible hardware security in the same manner as the plug and play approach. For various markets, Swissbit offers a broad set of security cases. The flash memory can be used by any host to store data on the cards at high speed. Additionally security functions of the card can be activated to protect any data.
Valuable data such as sensitive files, emails, photos, OS images, FW updates, log files and audit trails can be protected by encryption, access protection, or made resistant to tampering by digital signature. Voice and video calls as well as data streams for M2M communication can be protected by the card in high speed. The best fitting product can be chosen depending on the use case.
Swissbit security product series provides a smart card chip or a security extension to the Swissbit durabit™ firmware or combination of both. The block diagram below illustrates the architecture of the Swissbit Security Interface, the flash controller, and the Encrypted flash chips.
The Swissbit Security Interface empowers solution providers to build applications on various platforms. An SDK is available to develop applications on Windows™ and Linux™ PC platforms and on mobile phones and tablets like Android™ and BlackBerry™.
- The Standard Edition SE fits best into authentication and PKI (Public Key Infrastructure) use cases. The card is supported by leading middleware vendors in mobile, desktop, and tablet use cases to ensure a seamless design-in into existing security infrastructures.
- The Voice Edition PS-100u VE provides Elliptic Curve Cryptography. The enormous advantage of computation and security combined with small certificate sizes makes a VE card ideal for online key and certificate exchange.
- Solution providers choose the VE card to build secure mobile voice solutions. Typically the users (caller and person called) only need to enter their PIN into their mobile device and the security chip performs end-to-end encryption on their behalf. All encryption keys for authentication and key agreements remain highly protected in the card at all times. Only AES key stream segments suitable for voice stream encryption are passed to the mobile host application. The VE card extends the features of the SE Card.
- The DP and PE cards provide flash memory encryption and access protection, secure logging, and flexible CD-ROM storage. The PE cards offer asymmetric and symmetric cryptography like the VE cards by the embedded smart card chip, whereas the DP cards offer symmetric encryption without smart card chip by the durabit™ FW.
- FE cards provide a secure element according FIPS 140-2 certification. US governmental organizations and enterprises that need to follow the FIPS 140-2 security standard benefit from smart integration into a storage form factor.
The PS-45 series provides security for bit cost optimized applications
Market segments like Automotive, Medical, NetComm and Surveillance require high security for data at rest protection and secure communication for the Internet Of Things. Flash memory technology in these applications needs to be well optimized for cost, endurance and performance in the respective application. The PS-45 card with its well defined security will enable new security levels for industrial applications.
Industrial systems are going online in the Internet of Things. A complete new class of attack vectors is now enabled by remote access. While physical barriers are no longer in place, data hiding is no longer sufficient as security measure against attackers. Know how protection, legal requirements for data protection, liability and many more aspects are the driving force
for strong online security. Data at rest security protects digital assets stored in secure memory. Solution providers can choose from various data protection profiles and smart card security inside industrial storage cards for bit cost optimized applications.