Infineon – 5th generation PWM Controller – Quasi-resonant flyback controller and CoolSET™
Rapid start-up with cascode configuration
To achieve fast start-up performance, 5th generation controller utilize the high voltage MOSFET together with an internal current regulator to operate the start-up sequence in a safe and rapid manner, which is commonly known as cascode configuration.
Upsized zero crossing counters for valley detection
With the implementation of 10 zero crossing counters, the ability to detect AC line Input level and an intelligent adaptive digital algorithm (patent pending), it enabled the 5th generation controller to minimize the spread of switching frequency under different AC line input conditions. This innovative approach has enabled SMPS designers to design with higher switching frequency to take advantage of smaller magnetics and lowering of system BOM cost.
Run cooler with CoolMOS™ P7 family
In tandem with Infineon’s leadership in the area of high voltage superjunction MOSFETs, the latest 700V and 800V CoolMOS™ P7 families will be integrated together with the 5th generation controller in a single package. CoolSET is available in both through-hole and SMD packages and thereby eliminates the need of heatsink and reduces BOM Count with a small footprint.
Comprehensive suite of protection features
In addition to the typical output protection such as output short, overload and overvoltage protection, the 5th generation controller is incorporating additional protections to detect abnormal line input conditions such as over-voltage and under-voltage protection. Similarly, in-system-protection has been further enhanced with the introduction of VCC and CS pin short to ground to prevent controller damage during abnormal start-up conditions and OTP has been enhanced with hysteresis to improve operational fault handling. To minimize interruption to system operation, all protection modes are implemented with auto resume to enhance user experience.
- Integrated 700V and 800V superjunction MOSFET with avalanche capability
- Comprehensive suite of protection which include input OVP, brown in/out, pin short to GND and OTP with hysteresis
- Innovative quasi-resonant switching scheme to minimize frequency spread under different line input conditions
- High efficiency with latest CoolMOS P7 family and quasi-resonant switching scheme
- Auto-restart recovery scheme to minimize interruption to system operation
- Extensive protection coverage to increase system robustness
- Rapid start-up performance with cascode configuration
Typical application schematic of a 60W isolated flyback SMPS: